Monday, March 1, 2010

What is home?

Today was an interesting day. I went to Best Buy to get a radio for my office at work. After leaving Best Buy, I stopped by a gym that partners with our hotel so the guests can work out there for free. I got the tour of the whole place, and became interested on how much it would cost for me to be a member.

As I was leaving, I saw someone that looked familiar and we looked at each other in shock. It was a buddy of mine from grade school and whom I played baseball against in high school. He was a personal trainer at the gym we work with and his older brother runs the gym too. I sat and talked with them for quite awhile catching up on things. It had been maybe about 15 years since I last saw him.

As I was leaving and we told each other we would contact each other soon, he said something to me that struck me. He told me, "Oh and welcome home Travis." I had told him I moved to Phoenix for a few years where I met my wife and got into a "career" and had moved back at the end of July. It got me thinking, What is home?

I remember last June when I was in for Father's Day. I had interviewed with what became my new company a few weeks later. This song kept going through my head. The song is Home by Switchfoot. There is a line in the song that always strikes me and I almost lose it listening to it.
It goes:

And now after all
My searching
After all my questions
I'm gonna call it home
I got a brand new mindset
I can finally see
The sunset
I'm gonna call it home

I was thinking, being from St. Louis, this is where God has led me and my wife, and soon to be son. My wife and I did not feel led to stay in Phoenix, as good as the town had been to us. Stephanie really wanted to move to St. Louis; however, I thought it was her head leading her over our hearts. Man was I wrong. She was God showing me where we supposed to go.

Being in St. Louis these past 7+ months has showed me where home is, and no it is not St. Louis. It is the people that surround you and love you. And the person who loves you the most in this life is not your wife or husband or mother or father. They may love you like crazy and with their whole hearts, but it is the tiniest amount compared to how much our Father in heaven loves you. He is the father that can show you your eternal home, which is where I belong.

Switchfoot's chorus for Home is:

This is home
Now I'm finally
Where I belong
Where I belong
Yeah, this is home
I've been searching
For a place of my own
Now I've found it
Maybe this is home
Yeah, this is home


I have no doubt that this job (now jobs) that have come about for me here in St. Louis was God's answer to many prayers from several people, I am sure my mom is in that crowd. The question is though, Where is your home? Is it a place? Is it with someone you deeply love?

One day we are all going to pass from this life. All of the possessions we have earned and all the awards will stay here. We are going to be asked by the Father above a series of questions. When He asks me those questions, I cannot wait for the moment he tells me "Welcome home my good and faithful son."

2 comments:

  1. Home, now and later. It's good, more than good. Welcome to the blog love world, too. When you add that baby to your home, it will be so sweet. Then you will know how God feels when each of us in turn come home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely beautiful post.
    fun to hear the story of you running into your old friend in the gym.

    ReplyDelete