Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother’s Day–32nd and 2nd

So Mother’s Day has always been about making sure that we got mom a card and some sort of gift. I always had a random price in my head on how much I required myself to spend on her. Once my brother got to a certain age, there was the male ego always going off in my head and made me want to get the “better” present. I do not think my mother saw that at all. I think she saw two sons who were trying to go out of their way to make sure that she was appreciated.

33Both my brother and I (sorry Andrew but you have to admit this) think we could have been more appreciative sons to our mother. My mom always had a house full of boys. One husband, two sons, and throughout the years a dog and two cats. ALL BOYS! She put up with a lot from us.

As I look back now on my mother’s 32nd Mother’s Day, I want to say that I have the best mom a son could have, no questions asked. Mom, you sacrificed so many things for us throughout the years so that we could have a better life. This is a woman that lets the light of Christ shine through her to her family. Thank you for always being there as we go through struggles in our life as well. When a friend of mine passed away just two years ago, the first call I made was to my mother. Why is that? I was almost 29 years old and had just gotten married and my first call was to my mother. She had been there for me through those trials before and I knew that she would be there for me again.

Thanks mom. I love you!

wDSC_0056Now Mother’s Day to me is about experiences. I do not have to purchase that perfect present for someone. Yesterday, after coming home from work, we went to Old Town St. Charles. This is a special place for the wife and me. When we were dating and we came to St. Louis to visit, we went over to Old Town so she could do some shopping and we could meet up with old friends of mine for dinner. Well, as we are walking around through December temperatures here in Missouri, I suddenly realized something. I do not want to spend any of these moments with anyone other than this woman for the rest of my life. It was God smacking me in the head saying, “Hey, you are going to marry this woman. Who else would you go shopping with in these temperatures???”

So yesterday, after a nice late lunch, we went to one of her shops that she always has to visit when down there. She got her tea and spices to try out. She loves that type of stuff and I love trying out the samples they have in the shop. I asked her if that was all she wanted to do in St. Charles and she smiled and said yes. You could tell she did not care about the bigger item shops to purchase something nicer or more expensive. She just wanted to spend some time with her boys at a place that means so much to her. That is what she cares about, the moments that make us thankful.

I am thankful to have a wife that treasures those moments. She still got a gift from her boys, but it will not compare to that of an experience.

I love you Stephanie! Happy 2nd Mother’s Day.

First picture taken by my father after my high school graduation May 1998.

Second picture taken by Jeff Koziatek, of TallHippo Art & Photography. Check out more of his work at http://www.tallhippo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment