Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father’s Day

I have been really trying to figure out what I am going to write for this Father’s Day blog for a few weeks now. I usually let God take over as I type these things and let the honesty type its’ way out. But then, God hit me while driving in my car a week ago.

I am heading into work and a song comes on the radio. I nearly had to pull over because it was a perfect example of my dad. The song is by a band named Sanctus Real. I had heard their song, “Lead Me” before; however, they were explaining what the song was about and who it was written. You hear what he is crying out for, probably what every father is crying out for, to be a better husband and father. And we cannot do this alone. So we have to turn to the Lord and ask for guidance and strength. This is the part that made me want to pull over: My dad does exactly that.

What an incredible leader of our family growing up and what a great example for me to strive to be one day. He fought, tooth and nail for our family. He not just walked the walk by telling us he loved us, he showed us he loved us. Whether it was picking me up from a 8:30pm baseball game on a Tuesday night during the summer or calling me a few months ago to check on me to see how I was.

If I had to choose a part of the song that hits me is when they talk about not being left hungry for love and being left out. My dad never did that. He was showed his love for us. He let God lead him so that my brother and I could be led by him.

Sanctus Real–Lead Me

The lyrics are as follows:

I look around and see my wonderful life
Almost perfect from the outside
In picture frames, I see my beautiful wife
Always smiling, but on the inside
Oh, I can hear her saying
Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, but what about us?
Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone
I see their faces, look in their innocent eyes
They're just children from the outside
I'm working hard, I tell myself they'll be fine
They're independent, but on the inside
Oh, I can hear them saying
Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, what about us?
Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone
So Father, give me the strength
To be everything I'm called to be
Oh Father, show me the way
To lead them
Won't You lead me?
To lead them with strong hands
To stand up when they can't
Don't want to leave them hungry for love
Chasing things that I could give up
I'll show them I'm willing to fight
And give them the best of my life
So we can call this our home
Lead me 'cause I can't do this alone
Father, lead me 'cause I can't do this alone

I have always said I want to strive to be like my father. He is an incredible husband, loving father and unbelievable grandfather. I thank him for his leadership of our family and for leading us the way a father should lead his family. I have a lot to live up to with my 15 month year old. But I think with using my father’s leadership and guidance of looking towards God for help, I think I will do just fine.

Thanks Dad for being the leader in our family that we needed. Thank you for being the example of how to be a terrific father. Thanks.

 

1 comment:

  1. Most days, you feel totally inadequate. And maybe that's the idea.

    Thank you, son. I'm proud of what God has done with both of my boys. And He's the one who's done it.

    ReplyDelete