Friday, June 17, 2011

What exactly is GMC??

So the other morning, while getting ready for work, I saw a commercial for Channel 338 on DirecTV. The title of the channel is GMC or Gospel Music Channel. It was introduced a few years ago on DirecTV. It had a lot of selection for Christian music and had programs that were uplifting as opposed to a lot of the stuff out there now.

So as I am watching this promo for the channel, not once did they mention God, let a lone the official title of their channel. It kept referring to having to look up… on your channel guide. The music that plays in the background is that of either Creed or Switchfoot. Now, Creed has long since been referred to as a possible Christian Rock band, but played on many secular stations. Switchfoot is a Christian band that has received a lot of airtime on secular stations. I will give them credit for using Switchfoot. However, why are we scared to reference God or even the word Gospel on the GOSPEL Music Channel? Then it really made me think.

How many times, do us as Christians, hide behind something that “excuses” our faith? When someone asks what church we go to, we answer with the church name and that is that. Are we ashamed to use the name of God? Are we like Peter when someone asks if we know Jesus and we say we have nothing to do with Him? I know comparing the Peter incident in the Bible is a different than the issue with GMC; however, does it come with the same result? Matthew 10:33 “But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven” (New International Version).

I need to watch what I do in all situations so I do not sit back and analyze a conversation. The last thing I want to do after a conversation or commercial is reference Matthew 10:33.

Just a thought.

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments:

Post a Comment