Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Early morning lesson today

Cameron has been having some inconsistent mornings lately. Let's us sleep until about 6:30am on the weekends, 4:00am during the weeks sometimes. Either way, I get up, feed him and 9 times out of 10, he goes right back to sleep. That has allowed me some time to get in the Bible and do some reading.

Throughout my 31+ years on this Earth, I have hit every book of the Bible one time or another. I want to read it from cover to cover, in succession. I started this past week and remembered a sermon by a pastor that referred to Genesis 12. A specific verse is what he was talking about and when I re-read it at 5:15am this morning, it challenged me and shocked me even more this time around. I am referring to Genesis 12:11-13. It reads,

11 As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, “I know what a beautiful woman you are. 12 When the Egyptians see you, they will say, ‘This is his wife.’ Then they will kill me but will let you live. 13 Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you.” (Gen. 12:11-13 New International Version)

Abram, later called Abraham, is considered one of the greatest men in Christian History. His “big sin” is usually referenced to his wife, Sarai, giving him permission to have intercourse with their servant instead of trusting God to providing them a child. However, I look at this passage and it blows my mind. How could you deny knowing your wife?

His reasoning behind it does not help him either. He wanted her to say this could he could save his own tail. A crazy level of selfishness just reading this! I could never do this. My wife means way to much for me and I love her too much, right?

Looking back on my childhood, I would consider myself selfish. I wanted many things and felt like I deserved them. But things have changed. Once I got older, I began to realize we deserve ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in this life and we are only saved from eternal damnation from the blood of Christ.

I have thought about this long and hard and come to this conclusion: Through the love of Christ and we are taught to walk in the same path as Him, if asked, I would in a heartbeat give my life so that my wife may live. Christ did it for us. Why can’t I?

Is it that simple. Well, yeah. I am no way saying I am equal to Christ; however, we are taught to follow Him and be like Him and if that means I have to give my life for my wife, then it is a done deal. I will go home and wait for my gorgeous bride when her time comes. God has a great plan for all of our lives and my great plan has that and more. I have a gorgeous bride and an awesome 1 year old son. I have family and friends that care about me for who God made me.

I thank God that he has got me to this point. He has led me away from selfish behavior. Abraham was a great man and who loved his God and later offered up a son for God’s satisfaction. God did not allow this to happen; however, this showed God that Abraham had grown from this event from Sarai. So I thank Abraham from this lesson and lesson learned.

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments:

Post a Comment