Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother’s Day Part 2–My mom

My mom and I have always had, let’s call, interesting relationship. There were many, many times that she was not too thrilled with me growing up. I think I am the reason that my brother and I are so far33 apart in years because I caused her so much grief that there was no way she wanted another one of me. Ha! Andrew, my brother came nearly eight years after me and was much more mellow, until college. It could go either way after that.

With all that my mom and I have argued on through the years, there is one thing that we do agree on. The importance of music in our lives. Now our tastes in music have been different through the years. Even the same type of music (Christian) has been different. I do not see my mom getting down with DC Talk’s CD “Nu Thang.” But there is one artist we do have in common: The great Rich Mullins.

He passed away a few years ago and we both still struggle that there is not any new music from him. My mom and I would fight over his cds. What she would do is buy the same cd for her and I would take her other one. She wanted to make sure that I heard what Rich Mullins was singing about.

TravisDanceswithMomThere is one song that took awhile for my mom to hear again after Rich passed away nearly 17 years ago. It is a song that touches her and reminds me of how she brought me up. With all the arguing going on today about what the Bible is saying about every little detail, it all comes back to Jesus. It comes back to Him holding us through the storms in life and that no matter what storm is happening, we remember that He is our Prince of Peace.

Just this past Tuesday, a DVD came out entitled Ragamuffin, which is based off of Rich Mullins life. In a heartbeat, I knew what to get her for Mother’s Day.

This is our connection. When you find that with your mom, hold on to it. Thank you mom for fighting for me throughout all my fighting against you. Without you persistence, God only knows where I would be in life.

Here is the song. Hold me Jesus by Rich Mullins. I love you mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment